What to pack in your hospital bag for labor and delivery? What to take to the maternity hospital?
Sooner or later, each pregnant woman starts to think about things she might need in the maternity hospital. Some women buy already prepared sets of things, while others pack the bag themselves. I'm sharing with you my list of essential things so you'll have an idea on what to pack in your hospital bag. In any case, you have to be prepared for the “X” day.
Hospital Bag Checklist - What to Pack in Your Hospital Bag
What to pack in your hospital bag - Bag for Labor
As a matter of fact, “bag for labor” actually means three bags: a set for labor, things for mother after the birth, and things for the newborn. If you decide to have a birth partner, you will need to pack a bag for a father-to-be or whoever plans to be there during the labor and birth (T-shirt, pants and flip-flops, and required documents and medical certificates).
Set of documents for a maternity hospital:
- ID card or any other documents that can prove your identity.
- Referral to a maternity hospital (required for those who are sent from the district for labor in the regional maternity hospital).
- Prenatal record – it is the most important document for each pregnant woman that contains information about her health during pregnancy.
- Contract, in case you have made arrangements at the hospital.
- Health insurance (MHI).
- Cash, in case some unexpected expenses might occur.
Set of things into the delivery room:
- Mineral water (2 bottles, 0.5 litter)
- Labor gown (however, some hospitals will provide this)
- Warm socks if you are cold (some hospitals provide these also)
- Rubber slides or flip-flops
- Compression stockings (consult with your doctor to choose suitable ones)
- Hygiene products (toilet paper and wet wipes).
- Disposable diapers (you will be provided with diapers at the hospital; however, you might need the ones you bring, too)
- A light snack (in case you spend a long time in labor, you ought to have some snacks, such as cookies, crispbread, and bananas)
- Phone and a charger
What to pack in your hospital bag - Things for a postpartum period
- Postpartum pads (they are quite bigger than the usual ones). You will have to change them quite often.
- Postpartum underwear (several panties and nursing bras, preferably inexpensive, elastic, and made from natural materials).
- Home-style clothing (bathrobe, 2-3 nightgowns or pajamas for nursing).
- Hygiene products (shower gel or soap, toothpaste and toothbrush, scissors and nail file, shampoo, skin-care products including cream for cracks in the nipples).
- Hairbrush, scrunchies, or hairpins.
- Nursing pads.
- Rubber slides or flip-flops.
- A couple of towels.
- Several disposable or reusable diapers.
- Set of dishes (however, if you have a contract, the hospital will provide you with everything).
- A small supply of food for the first time (water, tea, cookies, fruits, yogurts, etc.)
When leaving the hospital, you will need some clothes and shoes in accordance with the weather. It's important to add this to your list of what to pack in your hospital bag. Also, you might need a small cosmetic bag (a fresh mother must shine!) You can pack all of these things before going to the hospital or ask someone to bring them for you.
What to pack in your hospital bag - Things for the newborn
- Clothes for a newborn for the first few days. They must be thoroughly washed and ironed from both sides.
- Cloth diapers: flannel and cotton.
- Baby undershirts, button-up bodysuits, sliders (5-6 pieces minimum).
- Hats (of different sizes), scratch mittens, and socks (minimum of three pieces each).
- Terry towel.
- Hygiene products for a newborn: baby soap, baby wipes, cotton discs and sticks with a limiter, brilliant green, hydrogen peroxide, baby cream, nappy cream, clean scissors, and an electronic thermometer.
- Dummy and a feeding bottle (in case of an artificial feeding).
- Set of clothes for the discharge.
Now that you know what to pack in your hospital bag it might be a good idea to label each bag, leave them in a specific location, and inform your relatives about them. Therefore, in case of emergency labor/delivery, those close to you can bring them to the hospital for you.
Check out these baby bodysuits and be inspired with our 27 Best Inspirational Pregnancy Quotes and Sweet Newborn Quotes and Sayings
Leave a Reply