So you’re about to be a new mom. Congratulations and it will be biggest adventure of your life, with many wonderful times to come. However, your emotions are running wild before their arrival and it is hard not to panic with all the information out there, so here are five top tips before the baby arrives:
1) Buy some essentials, but don’t buy too much- buy what you need when you need it. You are definitely going to need some good quality basics like a blanket, clothing and a crib.
However, there are a lot of things you will find you never need which could be anything from a baby bath to a swimsuit depending on the weather and your family circumstances, even if someone else swears by that item.
2) Do not worry if things do not go to ‘plan’. Planning is all very well, but a baby doesn’t know about your plan and will be sick, run a fever or be awake when you least expect it. So, be flexible and don’t expect everything to be the same as it was before because it won’t be.
3) Don’t be afraid of second hand. Second hand things for babies will have very little wear and whether toys or clothes or cupboards, parents look after baby things. In addition, babies grow out of all of things very quickly so they will not have been used for long.
4) Accept help from others. Whether this is holding the baby, changing a diaper, making a coffee or cleaning up, take it. Do not be too proud to accept help, you will be grateful in the short and long term!
5) Trust your own instincts. Every baby is different and what worked for your mom, aunt, friend or sister will not necessarily work for you.
Hand in hand with this is picking and choosing your information carefully. If you did everything everyone else said you will exhaust yourself and your baby would not be at all happy. Do what you feel is best for your own baby and you’ll all be happiest.
Check our To Buy or Not to Buy - What Not to Get For a Newborn Baby, to make sure that your baby's needs are met and that you have everything perfect for them.
Check out the cute outfits for your little one!