It takes two to make a decision about labor partnership. Furthermore, the decision must be made in advance. There are situations, when one of the partners is against the whole idea of labor partnership.
Therefore, the two parties need to come together, talk and make a firm and cold-minded decision. Never make someone do things one does not want to do because it can cause more damage rather than good. The reasons for refusal can be serious – for example fear of blood.
How can a presence of husband be helpful during labor?
First of all, a man needs this. During the whole process of delivering a baby man’s feelings to a newborn grow faster and stronger.
Second of all, a partner is a tremendous support for a woman, for he:
- eases the pain by massaging a back, neck, lower back or feet,
- prompts the right actions, for example, how to breathe correctly,
- helps to track the time between the contractions,
- soothes and supports his beloved one,
- takes pictures and videos in case parents want to capture this memorable moment,
- call a doctor, bring water, walk you to the shower etc.
Last but not least, a man guards over woman’s interests and monitors doctors’ each action.
When is it reasonable to dismiss the idea of companionship labor?
- When one of partners absolutely disagrees;
- When there are disagreements or conflicts of any sort. As a result, woman might end up having additional stress;
- When a father-to-be has fears or phobias that might appear during or after delivering a baby (for instance, fear of blood or doctors etc.).
How should you prepare to labor baby together?
- Prepare in advance: if there is an opportunity for two parties to visit special courses – go ahead and do it! If there is no such opportunity, then watch videos on this particular topic and read literature;
- Choose the hospital, where having a partner during the labor is a regular thing. It is god to go there, consult doctors and ask them about the procedure. They will give you information such as: how should you prepare yourself (run medical tests, sign a contract), what you can and cannot take with you;
- Talk to one another, discuss the plan (if you have one);
- Talk to couples that had such experience, or find some reviews on the Internet.
If parents really the matter responsibly, then the labor will go much easier and comfortable, rather than if a woman was all by herself.
Check our What Awaits You at Home After Delivering a Baby. Learn ways on how to adjust to a life of a mother!
Check out this lucky horseshoe bodysuit for your newborn.