"Style is a way to say who you are without having to speak." - Rachel Zoe
Fashion is an essential part of the world. Most of what you remember from years or decades ago is the clothes people wore and how style influenced the years. From kids to adults, everyone even kids is interested in looking at their best selves and expressing themselves through clothes. It doesn't only beautify a person; it is the bread and butter of everything you wear; kid's fashion is no different.
While it is common for kids to want to dress themselves, the effect it has on them is less known. It has several benefits, and it can help your child be a healthy and happy adult later in life. And who knows, maybe your child is a fashion icon in the making.
This article provides insight into how kids' clothes affect them and how you can help them be independent individuals. Let's go across the benefits of kid's fashion and explore the colorful world of fashion. Get reading and encourage your kids to be the best version of themselves.
How do kid's clothes affect children?
- Allows self-expression
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." - Oscar Wilde
No matter how similar you feel, everyone is a unique individual, and this feeling is so special. To think your kid is a unique person is a wholesome feeling.
But, a child doesn't just grow up to be a happy and expressive adult by themselves; there is a lot more to it. Many internal and external factors help a child develop into the adults they become, fashion being one of them.
As an adult, you must be glad that your child is different from everyone else regarding their thought process, style, upbringing, and character. But children, who don't have as much experience in life as you do, may think otherwise.
Standing out in a crowd is one of the most challenging things anyone can do; drawing attention to yourself or being different from others isn't always comfortable for everyone, especially children. In this case, individuality becomes complex, but there is still a way.
A part of accepting one's individuality is self-expression.
A simple task, such as picking their t-shirt, can help a child feel in control of their expression. Even if the kid's clothes are all white or what everyone wears, it is the kid's choice, and it is empowering in itself.
If they feel wearing a bright blue t-shirt is what they like, they can wear it. If they think a cute white t-shirt is their style, they can wear it too. It is the process of choosing a kid's clothes that allows a child to express themselves, showcase their individuality, and their genuine self.
Make sure you do not decline your child's choice of clothes. Instead, you can give them another option and explain why you are making a decision.
- Enhances self-esteem
Having a good relationship with oneself plays a great deal in one's health (both mental and physical). And a big part of this is a person's self-esteem.
Kids with a secure sense of self-worth tend to grow up into happier adults. And who doesn't like to be confident about themselves, right?
The good news is, kid's outfits also add to their self-esteem. You would like to think kids are carefree to the extent that they do not think about their clothes. But just like adults, kid's clothes also matter.
You must have noticed kids coming up to you when they are dressed up, seeking a compliment. Or when they smile in the mirror looking at themselves.
Even if their buttons aren't closed, they have the t-shirt the wrong way, or have stains on the shirt; it doesn't matter. If they are in their favorite clothes, they feel on top of the world.
Let them dig through their clothes and find themselves and find the perfect outfit. Then, if wearing a bedazzled outfit or even a simple one gives your child confidence, let them be their stylist.
- Brightens up mood
If you pay attention, a person's state of mind reflects their appearance, especially in how they dress. For example, when you feel low, you do not pay attention to what you're wearing, and you are drawn towards neutrals and baggier clothes.
Similarly, when you are in a cheerful state of mind, your choice of clothes is different. You are attracted to brighter and "happier" clothes, clothes that are positive. The same applies to children.
Kids' clothes act as armor that protects them when they feel vulnerable. And their style is a ray of hope for a good day, and who doesn't like to have a great time.
When in self-doubt or low morale, empowering clothes for kids have the potential to elevate their mood. You never know how a positive affirmation can change someone's day!
"Happiness is not by chance, but by choice." - Jim Rohn
Here are some more positive ways kids' fashion affects children:
- Expressing yourself through fashion gives children a sense of control over their individuality. It promotes their creative thinking and independence.
- It encourages children to be more outgoing and satisfied in their life. They develop confidence in the choices they make.
- Kids with similar styles can connect easily. This allows kids to make friends and form bonds.
- It offers kids a creative release. In moments of overwhelming emotions, positive or negative, having something to rely on independently helps kids be calm.
- Kid's fashion is not only a part of life, but it is also a way of living. It allows children to explore life in a creative, colorful, and diverse way.
How can kid's clothes make them confident?
- Use the power of colors
In the words of Wassily Kandinsky, "Color is a power which directly influences the soul." It isn't only the type of clothes one wears that influences their mood; colors play a role too.
Not only is it a form of self-expression (many people wear muted tones, and many prefer a pop of color to complement their personality), but it is a reflection of someone's present state of mind.
Just like the case with the fitting of clothes, colors tell a story about how you're feeling, what's the occasion, and the feelings you want to foster. So what are these colors, and what do they mean for kid's clothes?
- The color blue is often related to tranquility and peace. Not only do you feel good when you wear blue, but seeing someone else in blue gives a stable vibe. In the same manner, if you want kids to grow up feeling calm, invest in kid's clothes with muted colors like baby blue, baby pink, lavender, and white.
- The color red is associated with overwhelming feelings like excitement, anger, and power. It is also a color most often chosen by confident people as it attracts quite some attention to it. It is a bright color, and children seem to love cute red children's clothes.
- Black is considered a defensive color, but it isn't always the case. Many people wear black as a form of punk or goth trend. And many consider black to be a color for people who do not like attention or want to stay by themselves. Overall, black baby clothes are a child's choice or appropriate when you're planning on a safe stain-proof outfit.
- Yellow is one of the brightest colors, and it suits kids' personalities. It exudes warmth, happiness, and high spirits. Yellow reflects kids who are cheerful and energetic, so yellow clothes for kids are perfect.
- Encourage playing dress up
Playing dress-up is a fun part of everyone's childhood. Childhood is when a person's brain is full of creativity and the carefree attitude to execute what they want.
That's why they can bring their imagination to life through clothes. Kids are effortless stylists; it's amusing how their minds go a mile per minute, and they form outfits out of anything they can find.
Dressing up isn't exclusive to gender; anyone can play dress up, and who knows, they may be a stylist in the making. When kids are dressing, they imagine themselves in someone else's shoes.
One day they are a teacher, the other day, they are an astronaut, and some days they are a celebrity. Every character they play has a different state of mind that pushes their imagination to go wild with kid's clothes. Who knows dressing up could stimulate one's brain so much!
Dressing up also motivates children to find what they like and what they don't. They develop their own sense of style to derive confidence and happiness from. It gets them to think about new ways to dress up the same set of outfits, matching colors, and engaging their hand-eye coordination.
To keep your child happy and boost their dressing up, you can always share your clothes with them. Towels, dresses, ties, gloves, hats, and bags are always kids' favorites.
- Buy accessible kid's clothes
Another way to motivate your kids to dress themselves and explore their likings is buying accessible kids' clothes. What does it mean? It means opting for clothes that are easy to wear for kids according to their ages.
For example, choosing elastic instead of buttons and buckles in pants and t-shirts in place of shirts. Here are some ideas you can use to give your kids the best wardrobe:
- Elastic Pants
If the child is younger, it is better to opt for elastic pants or pajamas. Jeans and structured pants may be too dressed up for younger children (unless the occasion demands so). On the other hand, stretchy pants are easy to wear for kids, and adults also enjoy the comfort these pants offer.
They come in many variants; elastic bands with a button, simple elastic bands, and elastic bands with ties are standard elastic pants. They may even come with a snap in the front or side, and they are an excellent option to choose as well.
- Comfy t-shirts
T-shirts are one of the most versatile options in kid's clothes. They are comfortable, accessible, and come in a vast variety of fabrics and patterns. Buy kid's t-shirts in different colors, materials, and sizes for your kids to experiment with.
Even if the size is bigger, you can play it to your advantage. It will serve your child for a more extended period, and baggy clothes are in trend.
Solid t-shirts are an excellent base to start with as they are timeless styles. They are easy to style, easy to buy and come in a variety of colors. Tie-dye t-shirts and multicolored t-shirts are also in trend.
- Co-ord pajama sets
Why only dress up when you're going out? Instead, help your kids stay stylish at home with cute pajama sets. So they are comfortable for lounging, sleeping, and playing. The best thing about pajamas is that they are made of cozy and flowy fabrics.
Coordinated pajama sets come in many designs. They can be monochromatic, have complementary colors, and have unique prints. Pajama sets are an investment you and your kids will adore.
Accessorizing an outfit is the best way to elevate your style. A safe and stylish accessory is hats for kids. Hats elevate any outfit from average to trendy. Your kids will love superb and colorful hats that add a pop of color to the clothes.
Kids like pop culture, and hip-hop fashion, and hats are a big part of them. They can be just like their favorite celebrities with the hats they like. Baggy clothes, elastic pants, and hats will suit your child, and you'll see them pick and choose what they want.
- Let them be the boss
When it comes to kids, parents want to pamper them, as they should. You would like to buy them cute clothes, dress them for every occasion, and supervise them every step of the way. While supervising them is fine, sometimes you should let your kids be their own boss.
- Parents should let kids explore their kid's fashion on their own. Encourage them to pick up the items they've been eyeing and help them dress up the clothes. It will help them expand their creativity and build confidence.
- In the beginning, you may feel concerned as you want your kids to have a good sense of fashion. But an adult's perspective is different from a kid's point of view. While you may not like patterns or neon colors, they could be your kid's favorite. So, trust your kids and let their imagination run wild.
- Help your child be confident in their choice. Teach them it's OK to speak their mind and they can tell you what they like. You can obviously say no if you do not want the clothes they choose. This helps kids foster sound decision-making, confidence in their choice, and develop a sense of control of their life.
- If your child dressing up themselves is too much for you, you can let them do it once or twice a week. Or you can let them dress up for a week in a month; this will give them a creative release.
Hope this insight and these valuable tips and tricks help you encourage children to be the best vibrant version of themselves. Promote your children to be confident, creative, and independent in their chives to be happy and healthy adults. And while your kids develop their style, you can create a stronger bond with them.
If you found this kids' clothing topic helpful, you might want to check out the following relevant content:
Looking for something cute and funny gift for your loved ones? Check out our collection of baby clothes, baby blankets, bibs and many more!