If you are expecting your first born, it would be very helpful to check out the answers to these common baby questions. There are obviously a lot to learn especially for new parents like yourself.
Are baby clothes true to size?
Yes and no. Keeping in mind that every baby is unique, some brands run longer, some brands go for wider garments and a few of the brands are true to size for your baby. They meet different requirements for different people.
So it’s better to do your research before buying your baby an outfit and know your baby’s measurements are. You can find the right size for your baby through the brand’s size chart or eyeballing the outfit.
How do I measure my baby?
You would need a measuring tape and another person with you for your baby to stay upright during the measuring. For a garment, you need to keep 6 things in mind, length, chest, waist, hips, inseam, and torso.
- Length: Make your child stand upright with someone's help, and with one end of the tape at the crown, measure to the baby's heel (without their shoes on).
- Chest Width: Put your baby's arms on their side. Now holding their shoulders firm, wrap the tape under their arms and around the widest area of their chest.
- Waistline: Just put the measuring tape around your baby's waist to get the size.
- Hip Size: With someone's help, make your child stand straight and measure around the widest part of their hip for the right measurement.
- Inseam: To measure inseam for pants, lay your child down and measure from their crotch to their ankle or just above it.
- Torso Length: Place the measuring tape at the highest point of the shoulder and take the tape to the crotch through the chest; note this measurement. Then, take the tape across the crotch and run it back to the top; it'll be the total measurement.
What baby clothes do I need for my newborn?
If you are expecting a baby, you need to shop for basics. Because first, a newborn grows out of their clothes at an astonishingly fast rate and second, they need diaper changes and spoil their clothes many times a day. Here are some essentials you need:
- Baby bodysuits
- Baby t-shirts
- Baby bibs
- Baby pajamas
- Loose sweaters or layers
- Swaddle blanket
- Receiving blanket
- Shorts and bloomers
Which features comprise a good newborn baby outfit?
With a newborn baby, you have to take care of things just more than style. First and foremost, they need a diaper change 8-10 times a day, and many times they’d need an outfit change too.
Second, their growth rate is really fast so you might not even see them many times in the cute little overall before they don’t fit into it anymore. Third, grab everything and try to put it into their mouths.
Keeping these factors in mind, a good newborn baby outfit should have these features:
- It should be easy to clean and fast to change. As it will go through many washes, it should also stay in good shape.
- It shouldn’t be very tight or has fastenings that will make the baby uncomfortable.
- It should not have embellishments (for now).
Which outfits should I avoid for my newborn?
Every parent is excited to meet their baby and they have cute outfits planned. By no means should you stop experimenting to make your little one look adorable, you should just take care of a few things. Here are some outfits that are not suggested for newborns.
- Baby overalls: Baby overalls are functional at a young age like your newborn’s. They are difficult to get on a newborn and equally difficult to take off. In case of an urgent diapering change, there is a high chance you’ll keep unfastening the buttons or pulling the overall down and it will be too late. If you like the overall look, you can always go for a baby onesie.
- Baby vests: Don’t go for a baby vest without buttons, what’s the point! It will keep riding up, sliding down the shoulder, and will get off when it shouldn’t. Go for a buttoned vest or a sweater or jacket instead.
- Clothes specifically meant for the umbilical cord: Do not follow the trend of buying clothes specially made for the umbilical cord. They do nothing and you should go for a cropped t-shirt and comfortable pajama to do the job.
- Corduroy pants or jeans: Corduroy and denim are very constricting material and babies like to move. So avoid these types of fabrics for a while or till your baby has grown older.
What is a baby diaper bag?
A baby diapering bag is a bag of essentials every parent needs for an outing. It has many sections to hold diapers, extra clothes, and everything essential every parent needs to take care of their baby and handle any emergency that comes your way.
What to pack in a baby diaper bag?
A baby diaper should have these basics in them at all times.
- Baby’s diapers: After your baby has a diaper on, your diaper bag should have at least 2-3 diapers in it. You never know how many times your baby might need a diaper change, even during the shortest of outings.
- Wipes: With diapers, you need to carry wipes. A pack of baby wipes would be enough for an outing, but make sure you have enough in there.
- An extra outfit: It may not come as a surprise, but your baby may even spoil their clothes on an outing. So to be safe, add an extra outfit, or if they are wearing a t-shirt, carry extra pants or shorts.
- First aid kit: Consult your pediatrician to create a basic first aid kit for your baby. They might need medicine or cream. Carry a couple of bandages in the kit.
- Swaddle blanket: If your baby is still swaddling, it is a great option to add to your diaper bag. In case the baby needs to fall asleep or just needs a warm layer to avoid cold, it would work just fine.
- Baby-friendly sunscreen: If you are going out, you need to know that a baby’s skin shouldn’t be exposed to the sun for long. Even if you’re covering the stroller or using an umbrella, you need to use sunscreen.
How to wash a baby’s clothes?
Baby clothes are delicate, they need to be washed with extra care. For that, many parents suggest hand washing the child’s clothes.
It is a super gentle way of getting rid of all of the dirt and keeping the garment good as new. But many parents don’t get enough time to handwash clothes so putting your baby’s clothes on the machine isn’t a bad idea.
Is it safe to use normal detergent for washing a baby’s clothes?
Yes, it is safe for your baby if you wash their clothes with a normal detergent. It will eventually be rinsed off and the clothes will look and feel great.
But if your baby has skin conditions like eczema or rosacea, you should consult your pediatrician for a safe baby detergent that doesn’t worsen the condition.
Can baby clothes be washed with adult clothes?
No! Babies have very delicate skin, which means any foreign substance, a harsh material, or even the slightest of dust can be irritating for their skin. If we think about adult clothes, you go out, you face every kind of environment, and you can have some skin issues too.
If you wash your clothes with the baby’s clothes, there is an underlying chance that your baby might develop an allergy or just irritation from being in contact with adult clothes. You should wash the baby’s and adult’s clothes separately.
Are baby’s clothes fire retardant?
Yes, baby clothes for children from 9 months and above are flame retardants. Younger children do not know how to walk or crawl, reducing their risk of exposing themselves to an open flame.
Are fire-resistant clothes safe for children?
Companies are not required to disclose the chemicals they use for making your baby’s outfits flame-resistant. So, we don’t know if these chemicals are safe for children but you don’t have to worry.
These days many polyester pajamas are made flame-resistant without chemicals. If you don’t want to choose polyester, you can always go to fitting cotton clothes. Their snug fit prevents any fire from spreading.
What’s a baby’s take-home outfit?
After your baby is delivered, they come into your in a receiving blanket only. When you have to take your baby home, you need to dress them up so they look cute, stay warm, and be comfortable. The outfit you decide to take your baby home from the hospital is the baby’s take-home outfit.
So, what should be a baby take-home outfit?
The take-home outfit depends on the season the baby’s born in. So when you are buying a baby’s take-home outfit, keep your due date in mind.
- If your baby’s delivery is during summers, you can shop for a soft baby onesie and something special.
- If your baby is to be born in winters, get layers of clothes, instead of one chunky garment as it can be uncomfortable and it isn’t breathable. Buy baby t-shirts and pajamas and layer them with a soft (not fuzzy!) garment. You can always use your baby’s receiving blanket to wrap the little one.
- If your delivery date is during any transitional seasons or the rain, you can go for a warm and breathable layer on top of your baby’s rompers and t-shirts.
How many baby outfits should I take to the hospital?
Start by deciding your baby’s take-home outfit. Apart from that, even if you are planning to leave immediately after the delivery, carry a couple of baby bodysuits with you.
Carry a couple of pairs of socks and a cap for extra warmth that the baby might need. Add a receiving blanket to double as an extra layer of warmth, and you are good to go!
And what else to pack in a hospital bag?
There are a lot of things your newborn needs, but as a new parent, you might be worried that you are forgetting something. To give you a basic list of essentials for your newborn to pack in a baby’s hospital bag.
- Going home outfit
- Extra baby rompers
- Diapers and wipes
- Swaddle blanket or a warm receiving blanket
- Cap and socks
- A car seat (installed)
Before packing the hospital bag, do consult your pediatrician and the hospital. Ask about the facilities they provide and if they provide diapers and wipes. This will help you pack better and carry the necessities for the baby’s hospital bag.
When to start buying baby’s clothes?
The best time to buy a baby’s clothes is during the third trimester. This is the best time to decide what would be appropriate for the baby and the mother would be able to comfortably participate in shopping for the baby. Another thing to keep in mind is that you are going to get plenty of gifts from your loved ones and at the baby shower.
So if you buy your baby’s clothes too early, you may overspend and get extra things you won’t need for long. If you find something that would be of use, like a good quality receiving blanket or a stroller, you can always buy that ahead of time because it will stay with the baby for a long time irrespective of the baby’s growth.
How many times a baby poops a day?
It may or may not come as a surprise for new parents but your baby may need a diaper change 8 to 12 times a day! In the very beginning, you may not need diaper changes so often but as you start breastfeeding and feeding formula to the baby, the frequency of diapering increases. So be ready for all this diapering with your baby’s diaper bag.
How frequently should I change the baby’s diaper?
Over time, new parents get an idea of their baby’s diaper change routine. To give you a general idea before that, you need to change your baby’s diaper after every two or three hours. But check the diapers every hour to be sure.
What does it mean when clothing tags say 6 months?
Instead of a size range sometimes, clothes just have an age written over them. The age written over the baby’s sizing information means the clothes will fit a child up to that age.
For example, if the size says 6 months, it is suitable for a child up to 6 months. If your child is around 6 months, this is the size you go for.
Which baby diaper should I choose?
These days two types of diapers are available, cloth diapers and disposable diapers. If you are not familiar with them, the basic idea is cloth diapers are reusable while the other one is disposable. With each category, there are more types but first, you have to commit to what you want to try.
Understand the advantages and disadvantages of both of these diapers and choose which ones you like more.
- They are reusable and durable, you can save money.
- Reusable diapers are also environment friendly, as you’re generating less waste.
- They do not contain chemicals. Thus they are the perfect newborn baby diapers.
- They come in many colors and patterns.
- They take work to clean.
- You have to do laundry frequently.
- They offer more absorbency.
- Disposable diapers don’t require much care.
- Easy to use and save time.
- You are generating more waste so it’s toxic for the environment.
When should I bathe a newborn baby?
The World Health Organization (WHO) advises parents to bathe their newborn baby 24 hours after childbirth. But if you can’t wait for this long, you can bathe your baby in 6 hours. You can consult your pediatrician about the baby’s first bath if you need more guidance.
Why should I wait to bathe my baby?
Research says if you bathe your baby right after childbirth, your baby is more susceptible to hypoglycemia (a drop in blood sugar levels), and they can get a common cold. In the case of a newborn child, these things can even prove fatal.
Moreover, it has been observed that delaying the baby’s first bath helps the mother and child develop a bond. No matter if the reason is emotional or scientific, you need to wait at least 6 hours after childbirth of the suggested 24 hours to bathe your baby.
How often should I bathe my newborn?
Many experienced parents say they don’t bathe their newborn babies often. They clean their body folds regularly but as long as the baby is comfortable, smelling good, and clean, it is okay to avoid bathing them. Trust your instincts, you’ll know when should you bathe your baby next.
If I don’t have a baby bathtub, can I bathe my baby in a sink?
It isn’t very uncommon for people to bathe their baby in a sink. Sometimes it seems like an easier choice over the two.
Although experts advise people to exclusively bathe a baby in a baby bathtub but if you can’t get that for some reason, a sink does the job. But there are a few things you should know before going ahead with this idea.
- Find a sink in your house that doesn’t have a faucet or tap poking over it that will hit the baby when you pick them up.
- Keep everything else away from the sink.
- Line the sink floor with a towel to have some grip on the sink so that there is no case your hand or the baby slips.
- Be cautious.
Why is my newborn’s skin getting dry?
A baby’s skin is really sensitive, especially a newborn’s. It can undergo changes depending upon the environment and the routine you follow.
If your baby’s skin is getting dry it can also turn into cuts or wounds because the baby’s skin isn’t developed enough to help or protect itself. There can be two main reasons why is this happening:
- You are living in a dry environment or your AC unit makes the environment dry. For this, you need to keep moisturizing your baby’s skin with an unscented and thick moisturizer. You can also use oil over it to make a barrier.
- You are bathing your baby a little too often. This can dry out your baby’s skin even if you are using a moisturizer. To prevent this either reduce the bathing duration or the bathing frequency and you’ll be good.
Please consult your doctor if this persists.
How to store baby clothes?
When it comes to storing your baby’s clothes, you need to be extra careful. First, you want to make sure your baby’s clothes are visible so they can be worn before they go tight.
Second, you want to store them in a hygienic space, and third, you want the space to be available for customization. These tips might come in handy to keep your baby’s clothes in sight and new-like.
- Section the baby's clothes: One of the best ways to keep your baby’s clothes organized is sectioning them. Many parents swear by this technique and it definitely works. Sort your baby’s clothes into sections of similar clothing and then keep the frequently used garments on top and the rest below them.
- Go for Closet Ring Dividers: If you frequently use the baby's swaddling blanket or the receiving blanket or any long garment, you need closet ring dividers!
These dividers allow you to hang any clothes so you can keep frequent clothes visible. It improves your accessibility and you can pick the right clothes on the run. To keep things fun and colorful, you can buy colorful closet rings or you can DIY them yourself too.
- Use Closet Dividers: If you want to use an already available furniture piece to store your baby’s clothes, you need to get closet dividers. You can divide your closet or drawers to store baby’s clothes or you can also divide their own drawer into little sections. You can DIY some colorful options and if you want, you can always buy dividers online.
What are some baby clothes storage tips?
If you want to make space for your baby’s clothes, in their nursery or your room, you can use these 3 items to organize and store baby’s clothes.
- Baskets: Even if you have a dresser, tossing your baby’s little clothes into a big drawer isn’t very organized. You can use different sized baskets to store different sized baby’s clothes. It will help you divide the drawer into sections and you can store baby’s rompers, t-shirts, blankets, socks, and bibs in the same drawer but in different sections.
- Dividers: Another good option to organize your baby’s clothes are dividers. These dividers can work for drawers, tables, and all kinds of storage spaces and they don’t confine you to any sizes. You can customize your space and always have a clean space to store and organize your baby’s clothes. You can make your dividers with cardboard and plastics too,
- Plastic bags: You know how you store some things in a ziplock bag? You can do that with your kid’s clothes too, Use plastic bags to store clothes that are not in season. It will help you with concise storage and keep the clothes fresh for the next season. Also, they are a staple while traveling too.
- Get Clothespins: Have you realized how difficult is it to find your kid’s bibs and socks in drawers and baskets? There is an easy solution for that, clothespins. It is a cheap and totally effective solution to securely clip any item over the hanger so it stays visible.
- Install Shelves: If you are looking for stylish, customizable, and functional storage options, you should keep shelves in your mind. Wall shelves provide extra space for you and they can be changed with decor when you want. These shelves fit clothes that need air, shoes, and burp cloths. And these shelves will look super stylish too.
- Buy a Shoe Organizer: Shoe organizers are a great help when it comes to storing hats, socks, or little trinkets. It has assorted pockets for shoes where you can store other items as well. And with these, you will have all the required storage essentials according to your baby’s needs.
Do baby clothes need fabric softeners?
No, baby clothes do not need fabric softeners. If you have baby clothes with fire retardant chemicals or properties, the fabric softener may reduce their effectiveness. Fabric softeners mainly come in liquid form but they are also available in sheets.
Both these fabric conditioners can be a cause of skin irritation and allergies in babies, so you should avoid fabric softeners in case of your baby’s clothes.
Can infant clothes be washed in a washing machine?
It is recommended that you wash your baby’s clothes by hand. It keeps the clothes in good shape while you make sure you are getting all the dirt out. But you can obviously wash the baby’s clothes in the washing machine if you don’t have time or you do laundry very often.
It is completely fine to wash your baby’s clothes in the washing machine.
Can baby clothes be put in the dryer?
To know if you can put your baby’s clothes in the dryer, you should check your baby’s clothes’ drying instructions. It helps you take care of the clothes better to extend their life. Drying your baby’s clothes in the dryer is a fast way out to get them ready.
But, frequent washing in the dryer wears the clothes over time and you may not be able to keep them as soft and comfortable for your baby to wear. A better option would be drying in clothes on air or out in the sun. It dries out the clothes better, keeps the clothes fresh, and stays wearable for long.
How to dry a baby’s clothes in the dryer?
If you can put your baby’s clothes in the dryer, here are some tips for you to keep them new-like and soft for the baby to wear.
- Avoid dryer sheets: If you are used to putting dryer sheets in the machine, skip using them while you are drying your baby’s clothes. Although they smell good and clothes seem fresh, it isn’t suitable for your little one. It can cause allergies and irritation as your baby’s skin is sensitive. To avoid the risk, steer away from dryer sheets.
- Monitor dryer time: It’s common to go a little over the drying time to avoid damp clothes. While it’s fine with your clothes, it isn’t the best way to dry a baby’s clothes. Their clothes are delicate, just like them, and overdrying can damage the fabric over time. The best way is to stick to the drying instructions. If you can’t find out the appropriate time to dry the load, you can always let the clothes stay a little damp followed by air drying.
- Don't overload the dryer: If you want your baby’s clothes to come out dry from the machine, you need to keep the load light. Overloading the dryer to save time might seem easy, but this way clothes stay damp and it may take longer to dry them out from the machine. So keep it light and have fresh clothes out of the dryer.
How to line dry newborn clothes?
Line drying, or air drying in general, is the best method to dry your baby’s delicate clothes. Yes, it may take a little more time than using the dryer but it’s much better. Your baby’s clothes dry better in the sun, they feel fresh and any odor disappears.
If the baby’s clothes are too small to go over the line, you can pin them. If you don’t want the clothespin’s mark you can dry your clothes on a hanger and hang that on a line or dryer set up.
If the sun is bright outside, you can always dry the clothes inside. It’ll help you keep the garment’s color bright and the fabric soft.
Do newborn clothes shrink in the dryer?
Yes, it is very common for baby clothes to shrink in the dryer. After multiple cycles of washing and drying, the baby’s clothes can even get loose. It majorly depends on the garment’s fabric, but after going through regular washing and drying, your baby’s clothes tend to lose their original shape and fit.
How to prevent the baby’s clothes from shrinking?
Although, after a while, every garment is bound to lose its original form, you can still keep them in good form for a long time. Here are some tips you need to follow:
1. Wash the clothes with cold water. If you are hand washing the baby’s clothes, you can use lukewarm water. But anything warmer than that is a big NO.
2. Keep the machine’s setting on delicate, or the most gentle option available.
3. Tumble dry the clothing with low heat.
4. Hang the baby’s clothes to air dry.
Do I need to wash new baby clothes?
It depends on your personal preference. Many people don’t wash newly bought clothes as they haven’t been worn yet and it saves time.
You get a new garment and it is good to wear. Others wash the newly bought clothes as they might have germs from production and people touching it after.
There isn’t a big danger if you don’t wash new clothes but it is a good idea to wash them for sure. Use your preferred laundry detergent and give the outfit a gentle wash; it helps you be sure of the outfit’s safety and the outfit smells familiar too!
What are some newborn clothes to lounge in?
When the weather is warm, the best baby lounge outfits are baby onesies. They are soft, comfortable, and allow movement when the baby is having fun or just sleeping.
When the chilly weather arrives, you can dress up your baby in a t-shirt and pajamas for lounging. This outfit is warm, mobile, and perfect to just chill in.
How to fold clothes?
Bodysuits: Lay the bodysuit and fold the sleeves inwards to the back. Fold the bodysuit to bring the bottom on top and you are done.
Shirts: With the shirt on its front, fold the sleeves to the back of the shirt. Fold the shirt in half vertically and bring the bottom portion to the top.
Dresses: It’s recommended to hang your baby’s dresses.
Pants: Fold one leg of the pant over the other and fold it in half to the waistband.
For everything else, pajamas with footies, coveralls, and rompers, fold their sleeves and horizontally fold the legs up in half.
How to get the baby poop out of clothes?
Usually, you can clean baby poop out of the diaper with running water. Afterward, you can throw it in the laundry bag. Sometimes the baby's poop needs special cleaning, you can use a spray, scraper, or a specific diaper sprayer.
How to remove stains from a baby’s clothes?
To get normal stains or poop stains out of a baby’s clothes, there are four popular methods you can try.
- Wash the stained area with cool water.
- Dip the cloth in a solution of rubbing alcohol in a 1:1 ratio; then rinse the clothes.
- Before washing treat the clothes with stain remover.
- For stubborn stains, soak the garment in a 1:1 ratio of vinegar and water followed by rinsing.
How long do newborn clothes last?
They know that not many people can resist the lure of newborn baby clothes. The fact is, your baby will not wear newborn sizes for long; if your baby weighs 8 lbs or less at birth, you can plan on him wearing newborn sizes for three to four weeks.
Did you find these common baby questions helpful? If you're looking for more related articles, check out this list!
Looking for a gift for your toddler? Check out our collection of toddler clothes!